Thursday 21 February 2013

Did You Want To Call Your Boss?


SCENARIO
Imagine you are with a relative, a friend or a work colleague. You seem to have intimated that you need to contact your boss. The other person appears to want confirmation of what you want to do and says to you something like: "did you want to call your boss?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Querías llamar a tu jefe?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Quería (usted) llamar a su jefe?


OUR TIP
The question is an invitation for you to say what you want to do. When saying what you want to do, you should not need to be concerned about the level of formality in the original question. Your main concern should be about saying what you wanted to do.

Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Sí, quería llamar a mi jefe por teléfono (yes, I wanted to phone my boss);
  • Sí, quería llamarle por teléfono (yes, I wanted to phone him);
  • Sí, quería llamarle al móvil (yes, I wanted to call him on his mobile);
  • No, no quería llamar a mi jefe, quería escribirle una carta (no, I didn't want to phone my boss, I wanted to write him a letter);
  • No, no quería llamar a mi jefe, quería enviarle un fax (no, I didn't want to phone my boss, I wanted to send him a fax);
  • No, no quería llamar a mi jefe, quería enviarle un correo electrónico (no, I didn't want to phone my boss, I wanted to send him an e-mail);

Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Querías llamar a tu jefe?

This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:

For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by JM González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: