Today's word is: "ferrocarril" = railway
In Spanish, “ferrocarril” is a masculine noun* which means railway or railroad or even train, and used as in:
- El ferrocarril es un sistema de transporte terrestre (the railway is a ground/ terrestrial transportation system);
- Viajar en ferrocarril es muy cómodo (train/ rail travel is very comfortable);
Some Spanish expressions with the word “ferrocarril” are:
- Estación de ferrocarril (railway station)
- Ferrocarril funicular (cable railway);
- Ferrocarril suburbano (commuter railway network)
- RENFE** (Spanish rail transport operator);
- Taller de ferrocarril (railway/ railroad workshop)
*The noun “ferrocarril” comes from the joining of the noun ferro -Latin for iron and the noun carril -believed to be also of Latin origin and meaning rut, track, rail or lane.
** RENFE is an acronym of REd Nacional de los Ferrocarriles Españoles or the Spanish National Railways Network.
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "ferrocarril" in the YouTube clip: Tungas - El Ferrocarril
For more on the word "ferrocarril", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Ferrocarril
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “ferrocarril” in the link to hear the word pronounced.