Today's WOTD is: "caza" = hunt
In Spanish, “caza” is a feminine noun of Latin origin the main meaning of which is hunt.
The word may also be used to refer to the following:
- The hunting of animals;
- Hunted animals, game;
- Meat, game;
- A pursuit;
- A fighter plane*;
*NB In this case, "caza" is a masculine noun.
Some words related to "caza" are:
- The action word/ verb “cazar” which means to hunt (for food or sport), to catch, to capture.
- The feminine noun “cacería” which is commonly used to refer to a shoot or a hunt.
- The describing word/ adjective “cazador”/ “cazadora”* which means hunter.
*NB The feminine form, “cazadora” is often used to refer to a type of jacket (bomber jacket or similar).
Some expressions with the word “caza” are:
- Avión de caza (fighter plane);
- Caza furtiva (poaching);
- Caza ilegal (poaching);
- Caza mayor (big game hunting);
- Caza menor (small game hunting);
- Cazadora de cuero (leather jacket/ bomber jacket);
- Cazadora de piel (leather jacket/ bomber jacket);
- Coto privado de caza (a game reserve with controlled access);
- Trofeo de caza (hunting trophy);
Some examples of the use of the words "caza" and related words are:
- Hoy no vas a salir de caza, ¿verdad? (you are not going to go hunting today, are you?);
- Por aquí hay mucha caza, ¿verdad? (there is a lot of game around here, isn't there?);
- Ese guiso se hace normalmente con caza pero yo lo hago con pollo (that stew usually contains game but I am making it with chicken);
- Ese caza es un avión muy rápido y versátil (that fighter plane is a very fast and versatile aeroplane);
- El reportero anda la caza de las noticias (the journalist is in pursuit of news);
- Los hombres de esa tribu salen a cazar casi a diario (the men in that tribe go hunting -for food almost daily);
- A Pedro le gusta cazar con halcón (Pedro likes falconry -hunting sport);
- Cazaron al ladrón con las manos en la masa (the thief was caught red handed);
- La cacería la organizó el dueño de la finca (the shoot/ hunt was organised by the owner of the estate);
- Ayer cazaron aquí un jabalí grandísimo (yesterday a huge wild boar was captured here);
- Antonio es piloto de avión de caza (Antonio is a fighter plane pilot);
- El implante de microchips puede servir para combatir la caza furtiva (microchip implantations could be useful in combating poaching);
- El implante de microchips puede servir para combatir la caza ilegal (microchip implantations could be useful in combating poaching);
- La temporada de caza mayor ha comenzado (the big game season has started);
- La temporada de caza menor ha comenzado (the small game season has started);
- Te queda muy bien esa cazadora de cuero (you really suit that leather jacket);
- Te queda muy bien esa cazadora de piel (you really suit that leather jacket);
- Se venden trofeos de caza (hunting trophies for sale);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "caza" in the YouTube clip: LACAZADORA. MIGUEL SAEZ (videoclip oficial)
For more on the word "caza", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Caza
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “caza” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilihunts. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.