Sunday 30 September 2012

Where Are You Going To Be Next Monday?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the future in general, and saying where you intend being this coming Monday in particular.




SCENARIO

Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. You are talking about each other's future plans. Maybe you are trying to arrange some joint activity. Maybe you have intimated that you intend going away next week. At some point, the other person says to: "where are you going to be next Monday?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Dónde vas a estar el lunes que viene?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Dónde va a estar (usted) el lunes que viene?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to say where you are planning to be. When you say what your plans are, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Perhaps you want to say that you are going to be in:

  • A specific city
  • A specific country
  • Another specific destination

Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • El lunes voy a estar en España (on Monday I am going to be in Spain)
  • El lunes voy a estar en Galicia (on Monday I am going to be in Galicia)
  • El lunes voy a estar en Barcelona (on Monday I am going to be in Barcelona)
  • El lunes voy a estar en la playa (on Monday I am going to be on the beach)
  • El lunes voy a estar en casa (on Monday I am going to be at home)
  • El lunes voy a estar en casa de mis padres (on Monday I am going to be at my parents')

*Notes
Please note common ways of expressing this future in Spanish:
1. Using the future tense, as in:
  • El lunes estaré en Barcelona (on Monday I will be in Barcelona)
  • El lunes no estaré en España (on Monday I will not be in Spain)
  • El lunes estaré en ccasa (on Monday I will be at home)

2. Using the verb ir + an infinitive, as in:
  • El lunes voy a estar en Barcelona (on Monday I am going to be in Barcelona)
  • El lunes no voy a estar en España (on Monday I am not going to be in Spain)
  • El lunes voy a estar en la playa (on Monday I am going to be on the beach)

3. Using the present tense, as in:
  • El lunes estoy en Barcelona (on Monday I am in Barcelona)
  • El lunes no estoy en España (on Monday I am not in Spain)
  • El lunes estoy en la playa (on Monday I am on the beach)


Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Dónde vas a estar el lunes que viene?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: