Saturday 24 November 2012

Lámpara




Today's WOTD is: "lámpara" = lamp

In Spanish, “lámpara” is a feminine noun of Latin origin which means lamp. The noun “lámpara” is often used in Spanish to refer to a light bulb or other type of light source.

The Spanish noun “lámpara” is also a commonly used term to refer to valves/ vacuum tubes used in electronics, for example, in the early days radio/ television transmitter and receiver sets.

Some commonly used expressions with the word “lámpara” are:
  • Atizar la lámpara (re-fill wine glasses- repeatedly);
  • El genio de la lámpara (the genie of the lamp);
  • Lámpara de aceite (oil lamp);
  • Lámpara de arco (arc lamp);
  • Lámpara de bajo consumo (low energy lamp);
  • Lámpara de esmaltador (jewellers blow torch);
  • Lámpara de flexo (reading lamp);
  • Lámpara de lava (lava lamp);
  • Lámpara de led (LED* lamp);
  • Lámpara de los mineros (miners lamp);
  • Lámpara de mesa (table lamp);
  • Lámpara de minero (miners lamp);
  • Lámpara de pared (wall mounted lamp);
  • Lámpara de pie (standard lamp);
  • Lámpara de seguridad (safety lamp);
  • Lámpara de sobremesa (table top lamp);
  • Lámpara de techo (ceiling mounted lamp);
  • Lámpara halógena (halogen lamp);
  • Lámpara minera (miners lamp);
  • Lámpara solar (solar lamp);

*NB LED is an English acronym which stands for “light-emitting diode”

Some examples of the use of the word "lámpara" are:
  • Para de atizar la lámpara que nos vamos a emborrachar (stop re-filling our glasses repeatedly or we will get drunk);
  • En la antigüedad se usaban lámparas de aceite (in the olden days, oil lamps were used);
  • El genio de la lámpara te concede tres deseos (the genie of the lamp grants you three wishes);
  • Quería una lámpara de arco para un proyector de cine (I would like/ I am after an arc lamp for a projector);
  • Quería una lámpara de bajo consumo (I would like/ I am after a low energy lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de esmaltador (I would like/ I am after a jewellers blowtorch);
  • Quería una lámpara de flexo (I would like/ I am after a reading lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de lava (I would like/ I am after an lava lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de led (I would like/ I am after an LED lamp);
  • La lámpara de los mineros es una lámpara de seguridad (the miners lamp is a safety lamp);
  • La lámpara de mineros es una lámpara de seguridad (the miners lamp is a safety lamp);
  • La lámpara minera es una lámpara de seguridad (the miners lamp is a safety lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de mesa (I would like/ I am after a table lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de pared (I would like/ I am after a wall lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de pie (I would like/ I am after a standard lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de sobremesa (I would like/ I am after a table lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara de techo (I would like/ I am after a ceiling lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara halógena (I would like/ I am after a halogen lamp);
  • Quería una lámpara solar (I would like/ I am after a solar lamp);

Love-Spanish.com loves the word "lámpara" in the YouTube clip: Aladino y la Lámpara Maravillosa - Lexus CuentosInolvidables

For more on the word "lámpara", visit: Wordreference.com/es/ Lámpara

*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “lámpara” in the link to hear the word pronounced.

This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:

For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.


No comments: