Saturday 23 June 2012

What Do You Do Day To Day?


SCENARIO
Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. Maybe you are talking about your daily habits. At some point, the other person says to you something like: "what do you do day to day?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué haces habitualmente?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Qué hace (usted) habitualmente?


OUR TIP
The question is an invitation for you to say what you do day to day. When you state what you usually do, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Your main concern should be about saying what you do. Perhaps you want to give:
  • A sequence of what you typically do;
  • Include departures from what you normally do;

Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Normalmente me levanto temprano (I usually get up early);
  • Los sábados y domingos me levanto un poco más tarde (on Saturdays and Sundays I get up a little bit later);
  • Primero me ducho (first thing I do is to take a shower);
  • Después de ducharme, desayuno (after showering, I have breakfast);
  • Mientras desayuno, leo el periódico (during breakfast I read the newspaper);
  • Después de desayunar, me visto y me arreglo (after having breakfast, I get dressed and get ready);
  • De lunes a viernes, salgo de casa a las siete y media (Monday to Friday I leave home at 7:30);
  • Antes de salir de casa compruebo que llevo todo lo que necesito (before leaving home I check to make sure that I have everything I need);
  • Llego al trabajo sobre las ocho (I arrive at work around 8:00);
  • Empiezo a trabajar a las ocho y cuarto (I start work at 8:15);
  • Antes de empezar a trabajar me tomo un café (before beginning work I have a coffee);
  • Voy a comer a la una (I go for lunch at 13:00);
  • Por la tarde, trabajo hasta las seis (in the afternoon, I work til 6:00);
  • Llego a casa sobre las seis y media (I arrive back home around 6:30);
  • Descanso, veo la tele y ceno (I rest, watch TV and have supper);
  • Me acuesto sobre las once (I go to bed around 11:00);
  • Leo un poco y me voy a dormir (I read a little and then go to sleep);
  • Los sábados suelo ir de compras (on Saturdays I usually go shopping);
  • Los domingos suelo descansar (on Sundays I usually rest);


Now you should practice answering the question:
¿Qué haces habitualmente?

This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:

For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by JM González. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Margaret M said...

Normalmente me despierto sobre las siete..