Friday 29 June 2012

What Are You Going To Buy In The Greengrocer's?

Introduction


This post deals with shopping in general, and with things you may want to buy in a greengrocer's in particular.





SCENARIO



Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. You are making a shopping list. At some point, the other person says: "what are you going to buy in the greengrocer's?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué vas a comprar en la verdulería?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Qué va a comprar (usted) en la verdulería?


OUR TIP

Answering is quite straightforward. Naming something you can buy in the greengrocer's might be sufficient. You may also want to indicate the quantity/ amount of what you intend buying.



Here are some examples of things you could buy in the greengrocers:
  • Un kilo de tomates (I am going to buy a kilo of tomatoes);
  • Una lechuga (I am going to buy a lettuce);
  • Un kilo de cebollas (I am going to buy a kilo of onions);
  • Medio kilo de pimientos (I am going to buy half a kilo of peppers);
  • Medio kilo de puerros (I am going to buy half a kilo of leeks);
  • Un cuarto de kilo de guisantes (I am going to buy a quarter of a kilo of peas);
  • Doscientos gramos de setas (I am going to buy 200 grams of mushrooms);
  • Un repollo (I am going to buy a cabbage);
  • Medio kilo de remolacha (I am going to buy half a kilo of beetroot/ beet);
  • Medio kilo de rábanos (I am going to buy half a kilo of radish);
  • Dos kilos de patatas (I am going to buy two kilos of potatoes);
  • Medio kilo de zanahorias (I am going to buy half a kilo of carrots);
  • Un kilo de manzanas (I am going to buy a kilo of apples);
  • Un kilo de naranjas (I am going to buy a kilo of oranges);
  • Un kilo de plátanos (I am going to buy a kilo of bananas);
  • Una sandía (I am going to buy a water melon);
  • Medio kilo de fresas (I am going to buy half a kilo of strawberries);
  • Una piña (I am going to buy a pineapple);
  • Medio kilo de limones (I am going to buy half a kilo of lemons);
  • Medio kilo de higos (I am going to buy half a kilo of figs);
  • Un melón (I am going to buy a melon);
  • Media docena de huevos (I am going to buy a half a dozen eggs);

Now you should practice answering the question:
¿Qué vas a comprar en la verdulería?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons

Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
Twitter: @LoveSpanish_com
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.


No comments: