Friday 4 November 2011

Tell Me When You Want To Return



SCENARIO

Imagine you are with a relative, a friend or a colleague. Maybe you are both out in town. The other person feels that perhaps you want to go home. He/ she wants you to confirm that and decides to say to you: "tell me when you want to return home".

He/ she could choose to be less formal and say to you:
Dime cuando quieres volver a casa


Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be a little bit more formal and say:
Dígame cuando quiere (usted) volver a casa
  


OUR TIP

You DO NOT need be concerned about the degree of formality in what your relative/ friend/ colleague says to you. Whether the other person uses a more/ less formal register is irrelevant to your choice of reply.

Your answer depends only on what you want to say about when you want to go home. There are a variety of ways to reply. Maybe you want to say that you:
  • Want to be home before/ after a specific time
  • Want be home at a specific time
  • Want be home before/ after a specific date
  • Want be home at a specific date
  • Want be home before/ after a specific event
  • Want to be home before/ after something happens
  • Want to be home before/ after someone does something

Here are some examples which deal with those basic possibilities:
  • Quiero llegar a casa antes de las 11:00 (I want to arrive home before 11:00)
  • Quiero llegar a casa a las siete y media (I want to arrive home at 7:30)
  • Quiero llegar a casa antes del martes (I want to arrive home before Tuesday)
  • Quiero llegar a casa el sábado (I want to arrive home on Saturday)
  • Quiero llegar a casa antes del fin de semana (I want to arrive home before the weekend)
  • Quiero llegar a casa antes de que acabe la semana (I want to arrive home before the week ends)*
  • Quiero llegar a casa antes de que mis padres se hayan ido a la cama (I want to get home before my parents have gone to bed)*

Now you should practise replying to:
Dime cuando quieres volver a casa

*Please see grammar below


Grammar-Subjunctive
Please note the use of subjunctive mood in expressions of wanting, such as:
  • "I want to {do something} before {something happens}"
  • "I want to {do something} after {something happens}"
  • "I want to {do something} before {someone does something else}"
  • "I want to {do something} after {someone does something else}"

In order to express this in Spanish, you could use:
  • "quiero <infinitivo>... antes de que <subjuntivo>..." 
  • "quiero <infinitivo>... después de que <subjuntivo>..."

An example of this is the reply above: "quiero llegar antes de que mis padres se hayan ido a la cama".

Some other examples of expressions of this type in Spanish are:
  • Quiero terminar antes de que acabe la semana (I want to finish before the week ends)
  • Quiero descansar antes de que llegues (I want to rest before you arrive)
  • Quiero terminar antes de que Pedro me llame (I want to finish before Pedro calls me)
  • Quiero llegar después de que vosotros hayáis salido (I want to arrive after you have left)
  • Quiero desayunar antes de que Pedro y María se despierten (I want to have breakfast before Pedro and María wake up)

Now you should practise this use of the subjunctive with some more sentences of your own



This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct lessons online on this and many other topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
© Copyright 2011 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Margaret M said...

Quiero volver a casa despues de que se acuesten mis padres...