Today's WOTD is: "invierno" = winter
In tropical areas of the Spanish-speaking world, the word “invierno” may also be used to refer to the rainy season. In some parts, the noun “invierno” may also be used to refer to a sudden downpour.
A related Spanish noun is “invernadero”, which in English means a greenhouse.
A related Spanish describing word/ adjective is “invernal”, which may be used to describe something as typical of winter or wintry.
A related Spanish action word/ verb is “invernar”, which in English means to hibernate/ to spend the winter/ to winter.
Some commonly used expressions with the words “invierno”, “invernadero”, “invernal” or “invernar” are:
- Cuartel de invierno (winter quarters/ winter retreat);
- Efecto invernadero (greenhouse effect);
- En invierno (in winter);
- En pleno invierno (right in the middle of winter);
- Frío invernal (winter cold/ very cold);
- Invierno nuclear (nuclear winter);
- Retirarse a los cuarteles de invierno (to make a pause* current activities)
- Ropa de invierno (winter clothing);
- Tiempo invernal (winter/ wintry weather);
- Trigo de invierno (winter wheat);
*NB From military terminology, may mean a temporary pause to reflect/ re-think, or a complete cessation of an activity.
Some examples of the use of the word “invierno”, “invernadero”, “invernal” or “invernar”and related words are:
- Las tropas se retiran a los cuarteles de invierno (the troops go back to their winter quarters);
- El efecto invernadero y el calentamiento global (the greenhouse effect and global warming);
- Aquí suele hacer frío en invierno (here, it is usually cold in winter);
- Dicen que bañarse en agua fría aun en pleno invierno no está mal (some say that bathing in cold water, even in the depths of winter is quite good);
- Hoy hace un frío invernal (today is very cold);
- Hoy hace un tiempo invernal (today we have wintry weather);
- Me gusta guardar la ropa de invierno cuando llega la primavera (I like putting away winter clothing at the beginning of spring);
- El trigo de invierno se cultiva mucho (winter wheat is a widespread grown variety);
- Se llevan el ganado a invernar al valle (they take the livestock down to the valley for the winter/ to spend the winter there);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "invierno" in the YouTube clip: Invierno del 92 en imagenes
For more on the word "invierno", visit: Wordreference.com/es/ Invierno*
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon, next to "invierno" in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.