Tuesday 13 March 2012

Shopping For Shoes

Introduction


This deals with about shopping in general, and more specifically with shopping for shoes.





SCENARIO


Imagine you walk into a shoe shop. After exchanging customary greetings, the shop assistant says something like: "can I help you/ how can I help you?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué deseas?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Que desea (usted)?


OUR TIP

The question in Spanish is an invitation for you to say what you want/ what you are after. Answering that question should be quite straightforward and depends mainly on what you are looking for.


Maybe you are looking for:
  • Footwear -general.
  • More specific type of footwear:
    • Specific size;
    • Specific colour;
    • Specific material;

Here are some examples of answers:
  • Quería unos zapatos (I would like/ I am looking for shoes).
  • Quería unas zapatillas (I would like/ I am looking for sneakers/ trainers).
  • Quería unas sandalias (I would like/ I am looking for sandals).
  • Quería unas botas (I would like/ I am looking for boots).
  • Quería unos zapatos negros (I would like/ I am looking for black shoes).
  • Quería unas zapatillas blancas (I would like/ I am looking for white sneakers/ trainers).
  • Quería unas sandalias marrones (I would like/ I am looking for brown sandals).
  • Quería unas botas negras (I would like/ I am looking for black boots).
  • Quería unos zapatos talla treinta y ocho (I would like/ I am looking for size 38 shoes).
  • Quería unas zapatillas talla cuarenta (I would like/ I am looking for size 40 sneakers/ trainers).
  • Quería unas sandalias talla cuarenta y uno (I would like/ I am looking for size 41 sandals).
  • Quería unas botas talla cuarenta (I would like/ I am looking for a pair of size 40 boots).
  • Quería unos zapatos de piel (I would like/ I am looking for a pair of leather shoes).
  • Quería unas zapatillas de lona (I would like/ I am looking for canvas sneakers/ trainers).
  • Quería unas sandalias de cuero (I would like/ I am looking for leather sandals).
  • Quería unas botas de goma (I would like/ I am looking for a pair of rubber boots/ wellies).

Now you should practice answering the question:

¿Qué desea (usted)?


Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons

Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
Twitter: @LoveSpanish_com
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Margaret M said...

Hola, yo quería un par de botas marrones de talla treinta y ocho.