Today's WOTD is: "gorra" = cap
In Spanish, “gorra” is a feminine noun of unsure origin, the main meaning of which is cap.
The masculine noun “gorro” is also quite often used to refer to a cap.
Some expressions with the word “gorra”/ “gorro” are:
- Con la gorra (easily/ without effort*);
- De gorra (for free);
- Gorra con visera (peaked cap);
- Gorra/ gorro de baño (bathing/ shower cap);
- Gorro de cocinero (chef's hat);
- Gorro de ducha (shower cap);
- Llevar gorro/ gorra (to wear a cap)
- Pasar la gorra (to pass the hat around);
*NB Usually referring to a skill which has been mastered
Some examples of the use of the words "gorra"/ "gorro" are:
- Esa tarea la hago con la gorra (I can perform that task very easily);
- Conseguiste ver partido de gorra, ¿verdad? (you managed to watch the game for free, didn't you/);
- Las gorras con visera están muy de moda (peaked caps are very much in fashion);
- El gorro de baño es obligatorio en algunas piscinas públicas (it is compulsory to wear a bathing cap in some public swimming pools);
- Pedro lleva gorro de cocinero (Pedro is wearing the chef's hat);
- Con el gorro de ducha evitas mojarte la cabeza (with a shower cap you avoid getting your hair wet);
- Al final pasan la gorra (at the end they pass the hat around);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "gorra" in the YouTube clip: 01Mala Fama - La marca de la gorra
For more on the word "gorra", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Gorra
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “gorra” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.