Today's WOTD is: "colchón" = mattress
In Spanish, “colchón” is a masculine noun of Latin origin, the main meaning of which is mattress. The noun “colchón” may also used in Spanish to refer a buffer or cushion.
A related word is “colchonería”, which is often used to refer to a shop/ store which sells mattresses.
Also related are the noun “colcha”, the main meaning of which is bedspread or counterpane and the noun “colchoneta” which is often used to refer to an:
- A beach air bed or air cushion
- A mat (for example in gymnastics)
Some expressions with the word “colchón” are:
- Colchón de aire (air cushion/ air bed)
- Colchón de espuma (foam mattress);
- Colchón de lana (wool mattress)
- Colchón de muelles (sprung mattress)
Some examples of the use of the word "colchón" are:
- Esa colchonería dispone de una amplia gama de colchones (that mattress store offers a wide range of mattresses);
- El colchón de mi cama es muy cómodo (the mattress in my bed is very comfortable);
- Esa colcha es muy bonita (that bedspread/ counterpane is very nice);
- Traemos una colchoneta para la playa (we have brought an air bed for the beach);
- El potro suele disponer de colchoneta para ayudar a desmontar (there is often a mat to help dismount from the vaulting horse);
- Traemos un colchón de aire para la playa (we have brought an air bed for the beach);
- Ese colchón de espuma es muy cómodo (that foam mattress is very comfortable);
- Ese colchón de lana es muy cómodo (that wool mattress is very comfortable);
- Ese colchón de muelles es muy cómodo (that sprung mattress is very comfortable);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "colchón" in the YouTube clip: Spot Mi Colchón
For more on the word "colchón", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Colchón
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “colchón” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.