Today's WOTD is: "abrigo" = coat
In Spanish, “abrigo” is a masculine noun of Latin origin, the main meaning of which is coat. The noun “abrigo” may also be used to refer to warmth, protection or shelter.
Some commonly used expressions with the word “abrigo” are:
- A buen amigo buen abrigo (a friend in need is a friend indeed);
- Al abrigo de algo/ alguien (under the protection/ shelter of something/ someone);
- Abrigo de invierno (winter coat);
- Abrigo de piel (leather/ fur coat);
- Llevar abrigo (to wear a coat);
- Ropa de abrigo (warm clothes);
Some examples of the use of the word "abrigo" are:
- Al abrigo de su familia Pedro se recuperó en seguida (under the protection of his family Pedro soon recovered);
- Para este tiempo se necesita un buen abrigo de invierno ¿verdad? (in this kind of weather you need a good winter coat, don't you?);
- Llevo abrigo porque tengo frío (I am wearing a coat because I feel cold);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "abrigo" in the YouTube clip: Habitoal Abrigo - Julio Melgar (Con Juan Carlos Alvarado)
For more on the word "abrigo", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Abrigo
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “abrigo” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.