Today's WOTD is: "vestido" = dress
In Spanish, “vestido” is a masculine noun of Latin origin, the main meaning of which is dress/ gown.
Besides the specific meaning of a female dress/ gown, as a noun “vestido” may be also used to refer to clothing in general, a suit/ an outfit or attire.
The word “vestido” may also be used as a describing word/ adjective meaning dressed.
A related word is the action word/ verb “vestir”, which may be used to mean to dress/ to wear (clothes) or to clothe/ cover -with clothes. The usual meaning of “vestirse” (reflexive verb) is to get dressed.
Some expressions with the word “vestido” are:
- Ir bien vestido (to be well dressed);
- Ir vestido de calle (to be wearing casual clothes);
- Ir vestido de paisano (in plain clothes/ civilian clothes -as opposite to wearing a uniform);
- Vestido de boda (wedding dress);
- Vestido de ceremonia (ceremonial dress/ suit/ outfit);
- Vestido de noche (night dress);
- Vestido de novia (bride dress/ bridal gown);
Some examples of the use of the word "vestido" are:
- ¡Qué vestido más bonito! (what a lovely dress!)
- Gastamos mucho dinero en vestido y calzado (we spend a lot of money on clothing and shoes);
- Pedro iba vestido de bombero (Pedro was wearing a fireman outfit);
- Ese chico va muy bien vestido (that boy is very well dressed);
- Te gusta ir vestido de calle, ¿no? (you like wearing casual clothes, don't you?);
- Pedro va vestido de paisano (Pedro is in civilian clothes);
- María llevaba un vestido de boda precioso (Maria was wearing a lovely wedding dress)
- Ese es un vestido de ceremonia muy antiguo (that is a very old ceremonial outfit);
- María llevaba un vestido de noche precioso (Maria was wearing a lovely night dress);
- María llevaba un vestido de novia precioso (Maria was wearing a lovely bride dress);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "vestido" in the YouTube clip: Jesús Giles - El Vestido
For more on the word "vestido", visit: ordreference.com/es/ Vestido*
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “vestido” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.