This post is about giving information about facilities in the vicinity, and more specifically about the availability of a supermarket nearby.
Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or a work colleague. The other person needs to do some shopping. He/ she doesn't know the locality, but believes that you do and says to you something like: "is there a supermarket around here?"
¿Hay un supermercado* por aquí?
The question is an invitation for you to say whether or not there are any supermarkets in the vicinity. A yes/no answer may be strictly sufficient. However, with little effort, your answer could be a lot more informative.
Here are some examples of how you could reply:
- Sí, hay un supermercado cerca de aquí (yes, there is a supermarket near here)
- Sí, hay un supermercado bastante cerca (yes, there is a supermarket quite near)
- Sí, hay un supermercado muy cerca (yes, there is a supermarket very near)
- Sí, hay un supermercado a la vuelta de la esquina (yes, there is a supermarket around the corner)
- Sí, hay un supermercado al otro lado de la calle (yes, there is a supermarket on the other side of the street/ road)
- Sí, hay varios supermercados bastante cerca (yes, there are several supermarkets quite near)
- No, por aquí no hay ningún supermercado (no, there aren't any supermarkets around here)
- No, por aquí no hay supermercados (no, there are no supermarkets around here)
Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Hay un supermercado por aquí?