Today's WOTD is: "comedor" = dining room
In Spanish, “comedor” is a masculine noun of Latin origin which means dining room.
The noun ”comedor” may also be used to refer to public dining areas such as:
- A refectory or dining hall in a college or similar;
- A canteen or cafeteria in a factory or similar;
In addition, the noun “comedor” may also be used to refer to a suite of dining room furniture.
In Spanish, the word “comedor” may also be used as the masculine form of a describing word/ adjective meaning someone who eats a lot, that is a big eater. The feminine form of the adjective “comedor” is “comedora”.
Some commonly used expressions with the word “comedor” are:
- Auxiliar de comedor (dining room assistant);
- Beca de comedor (school meal allowance);
- Buen comedor (good eater/ big eater);
- Cocina comedor (kitchenette/ eat in kitchen/ kitchen-dining room);
- Mal comedor (poor eater/ picky eater);
- Mesa comedor (dining table/ dinner table);
- Muy comedor (big eater);
- Sala comedor (dining room);
- Salón comedor (dining room);
Some examples of the use of the word "comedor" are:
- Se necesita auxiliar de comedor (dining room assistant required);
- Se acabaron las becas de comedor (no more school meal allowances are available);
- Son todos buenos comedores (they are all big eaters);
- En casa tenemos cocina comedor (at home we have a kitchenette);
- Pedro es muy mal comedor (Pedro is a picky eater);
- Esa mesa comedor es muy bonita (that dining table is very nice);
- Son todos muy comedores (they are all big eaters);
- Por favor, pasen a la sala comedor (please go to the dining room);
- Por favor, pasen al salón comedor (please go to the dining room);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "comedor" in the YouTube clip: Atraiga la fortuna armonizando el comedor
For more on the word "comedor", visit: Wordreference.com/es/ Comedor
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “comedor” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.