Wednesday 3 October 2012

What Are You Going To Do Next Week?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the future in general, and saying what you intend doing this coming week in particular.




SCENARIO


Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. You are talking about each other's future plans. Maybe you are trying to arrange some joint activity. Unsure about what you intend doing this coming week, the other person says to you: "what are you going to do next week?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué vas a hacer la semana que viene?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Qué va a hacer (usted) la semana que viene?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to say what you are planning to do next week. When you say what your plans are, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question.


Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • La semana que viene voy a trabajar (next week I am going to work)
  • La semana que viene voy a descansar (next week I am going rest)
  • La semana que viene voy a ayudar a mi amigo Pedro (next week I am going to help my friend Pedro)
  • La semana que viene voy a estudiar (next week I am going to study)
  • La semana que viene voy a leer (next week I am going to read)
  • La semana que viene voy a hacer los deberes(next week I am going to do my homework)

*Notes
Please note common ways of expressing this future in Spanish:
1. Using the future tense, as in:
  • La semana que viene descansaré un poco (next week I will rest a little)
  • La semana que viene estudiaré un poco más (next week I will study a little more)
  • La semana que viene haré los deberes (next week I will do my homework)

2. Using the verb ir + an infinitive, as in:
  • La semana que viene voy a descansar (next week I am going rest)
  • La semana que viene voy a estudiar (next week I am going to study)
  • La semana que viene voy a hacer los deberes(next week I am going to do my homework)

3. Using the present tense, as in:
  • La semana que viene descanso (I rest next week)
  • La semana que viene estudio (I study next week)
  • La semana que viene hago los deberes (I do my homework next week)


Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Qué vas a hacer la semana que viene?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: