Saturday 6 October 2012

How Are You Going To Learn Spanish?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the future in general, and saying how you intend studying Spanish in particular.





SCENARIO


Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. You are talking about each other's future plans. Perhaps you have intimated that you intend learning Spanish. At that point, the other person says to you: "how are you going to learn Spanish?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Cómo vas a aprender español?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Cómo va (usted) a aprender español?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to say how you are planning to learn Spanish. When you say what your plans are, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question.


Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Voy a aprender español yendo a clase (I am going to learn Spanish going to Spanish lessons)
  • Voy a aprender español leyendo libros (I am going to learn Spanish reading books)
  • Voy a aprender español leyendo periódicos y revistas (I am going to learn Spanish reading newspapers and magazines)
  • Voy a aprender español hablando con la gente (I am going to learn Spanish speaking to people)
  • Voy a aprender español viendo la tele (I am going to learn Spanish watching TV)
  • Voy a aprender español escuchando música (I am going to learn Spanish listening to music)
  • Voy a aprender español a través de internet (I am going to learn Spanish online)

*Notes
Please note two common ways of expressing this future in Spanish:
1. Using the future tense, as in:
  • Aprenderé español leyendo libros (I will learn Spanish reading books)
  • Aprenderé español hablando con la gente (I will learn Spanish talking to people)
  • Aprenderé español escuchando música (I will learn Spanish listening to music)

2. Using the verb ir + an infinitive, as in:
  • Voy a aprender español leyendo libros (I am going to learn Spanish reading books)
  • Voy a aprender español hablando con la gente (I am going to learn Spanish speaking to people)
  • Voy a aprender español escuchando música (I am going to learn Spanish listening to music)


Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Cómo vas a aprender español?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: