Today's WOTD is: "búho" = owl
In Spanish, the noun "búho" is a masculine noun of Latin origin which means owl.
In Spanish, the feminine noun “lechuza” is used to refer to a barn owl and the masculine noun “mochuelo” is used to refer to a little owl.
Some commonly used expressions containing the words "búho", “lechuza” or “mochuelo” are:
- Cargar con el mochuelo* (to be landed with a dirty or unpleasant job or chore/ to draw the short straw);
- Echarle el mochuelo* a alguien (to give someone a dirty or unpleasant job or chore);
- Cada mochuelo a su olivo (it is time to go to bed);
- Cada mochuelo a su olivo (it is time to go home);
- Cada mochuelo a su olivo (we all have a job to do);
- Sacudirse el mochuelo (to get out of doing a dirty or unpleasant job or chore);
*NB These expressions tend to imply or convey the meaning that “others have got away with it”.
Some examples of the use of the words "búho", “lechuza” or “mochuelo” are:
- El búho, la lechuza y el mochuelo son aves rapaces nocturnas (the owl, the barn owl and the little owl are nocturnal birds of prey);
- Siempre acabo cargando con el mochuelo (I always end up with all the bad chores);
- Parece que te han echado el mochuelo (it seems that you have been landed with an unpleasant chore);
- Se está haciendo tarde, cada mochuelo a su olivo (it is getting late, it is time to go to bed);
- Se está haciendo tarde, cada mochuelo a su olivo (it is getting late, it is time to go home);
- Basta de charla, cada mochuelo a su olivo (enough chatting, everybody to work);
- ¡Qué suerte! Acabo de sacudirme el mochuelo (how lucky! I have just got away with not having to do that unpleasant chore);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "búho" in the YouTube clip: Geaorgina Buho Real La Vereda de la Puerta de Atrás
For more on the word "búho", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Búho
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “búho” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.