Thursday 27 September 2012

Where Are You Going This Weekend?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the future in general, and saying where you intend going this coming weekend in particular.





SCENARIO

Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. You are talking about each other's plans. Maybe you are trying to arrange some joint activity. Maybe you have intimated that you are going away at the weekend. At some point, the other person says to you something like: "where are you going this weekend?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Adónde vas este fin de semana?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Adónde va (usted) este fin de semana?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to say what your travel plans for the weekend are. When you say what your plans are, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Perhaps you want to say that you are going to:

  • A specific city
  • A specific country
  • Another specific destination
  • An event
  • A general destination


Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Este fin de semana voy a ir a Los Ángeles (this weekend I am going to go to LA)
  • Este fin de semana voy a ir a España (this weekend I am going to go to Spain)
  • Este fin de semana voy ir a Galicia (this weekend I am going to go to Galicia)
  • Este fin de semana voy ir al cine (this weekend I am going to go to the cinema)
  • Este fin de semana voy a a la playa (this weekend I am going to go to the beach)


*Notes
Please note common ways of expressing this future in Spanish:
1. Using the future tense, as in:
  • Este fin de semana iré a Los Ángeles (this weekend I will go to LA)
  • Este fin de semana no iré a España (this weekend I will not go to Spain)
  • Este fin de semana iré al cine (this weekend I will go to the cinema)

2. Using the verb ir + an infinitive, as in:
  • Este fin de semana voy a ir a Los Ángeles (this weekend I going to go to LA)
  • Este fin de semana no voy a ir a España (this weekend I not going to go to Spain)
  • Este fin de semana voy ir al cine (this weekend I going to go to the cinema)

3. Using the present tense, as in:

  • Este fin de semana voy a Los Ángeles (this weekend I am going to LA)
  • Este fin de semana no voy a España (this weekend I am not going to Spain)
  • Este fin de semana voy al cine (this weekend I am going to the cinema)


Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Adónde vas este fin de semana?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: