Today's WOTD is: "vaca" = cow
In Spanish, the noun "vaca" is a feminine noun of Latin origin which means cow. The masculine noun is “toro”, which refers to the English term bull.
A Spanish word often associated with the noun “vaca” is “ternera”, which means calf/ veal. For more on the word “ternera”, visit WOTD "ternera" .
Some commonly used expressions containing the words "vaca" are:
- Carne de vaca (beef);
- Filete de vaca (fillet steak);
- Estar como una vaca (to be very fat);
- Manteca de vaca (butter – from cows milk);
- Ponerse como una vaca (to get very fat);
- Uva de teta de vaca (a grape variety);
- Vaca loca (mad cow);
- Vacas flacas (lean years/ lean time periods);
- Vacas gordas (boom years/ boom time periods);
- Vaca lechera (dairy cow);
- Vaca marina (manatee);
- Vaca sagrada (sacred cow);
Some examples of the use of the word "vaca" are:
- Hoy tenemos carne de vaca (today we have beef);
- Hoy tenemos filete de vaca con patatas fritas (today we have fillet steak with chips);
- Ana está como una vaca (Ana is very fat);
- En la nevera hay manteca de vaca (there is butter in the fridge);
- Pedro se ha puesto como una vaca (Pedro has got very fat);
- La enefermedad de las vacas locas (mad cow disease);
- Estamos en época de vacas flacas (we are going through a lean period);
- Estamos en época de vacas gordas (we are going through a boom period);
- Tengo una vaca lechera (I have a dairy milk cow – title of a popular song!);
Love-Spanish.com loves the word "vaca" in the YouTube clip: LA VACA LECHERA
For more on the word "vaca", visit: Wordreference.com/es/en/ Vaca
*NB 'Click' on the speaker icon next to the word “vaca” in the link to hear the word pronounced.
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.