Imagine you are shopping and it is apparent that you have a shopping list. You have already exchanged greetings with the sales assistant and ordered the first item(s) from your list. The sales assistant has brought you the item(s) in the list and wants to know what else you want. At that point, the sales assistant says to you something like: "anything else?"
In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué más querías?
Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Qué más quería (usted)?
The question is an invitation for you to state what else you want. When you state what you want, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Your main concern should be about saying what you want. Perhaps you want to say is that what you want is:
- Something from the chemists;
- Something from the greengrocers;
- Something from the fishmongers;
- Something from the shoe shop;
- Something from the stationary shop;
- Something from the drug store;
- Something from the bakers;
- Something from the butchers;
- Something from the delicatessen
Here are some examples of how you could say what you want:
- Quería algo para un resfriado (I wanted something for a cold);
- Quería un repollo (I wanted a cabbage);
- Quería una docena de langostinos (I wanted a dozen king prawns);
- Quería un par de botas talla cuarenta (I wanted a pair of size 40 boots);
- Quería una caja de lápices de colores (I wanted a box of coloured pencils);
- Quería un champú para cabello graso (I wanted a shampoo for greasy hair);
- Quería una hogaza de pan gallego (I wanted a round loaf of Galician bread);
- Quería medio kilo de carne picada (I wanted a half a kilo of minced meat);
- Quería doscientos gramos de lacón gallego (I wanted 200 grams of Galician cooked ham);
Now you should practice answering the question:
¿Qué más querías?
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
Google+: Google+ Love-Spanish
Facebook: Facebook.com/ Love.Spanish
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by JM González. All Rights Reserved.