Sunday 17 June 2012

At What Time Do You Go To Bed?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the timings of daily activities in general, and more specifically with indicating at what time you go to bed/ go to sleep.




SCENARIO


Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. Maybe you are talking about your daily habits. At some point, the other person says: "at what time do you go to bed?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿A qué hora te acuestas?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿A qué hora se acuesta (usted)?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to state the time you go to bed. When you state the time you go to bed at, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Perhaps what you want to say is that you go to bed at:

  • A specific time
  • A specific time on specific days

Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Me acuesto a las once (I go to bed at eleven)
  • Me acuesto a las once de la noche (I go to bed at eleven in the evening)
  • Los lunes me acuesto a las diez y media (on Mondays I go to bed at half pas ten )
  • Los lunes me acuesto a las diez y media de la noche (on Mondays I go to bed at half pas ten in the evening)
  • Los viernes me acuesto a las doce (on Fridays I go to bed at twelve)
  • Los viernes me acuesto a las doce de la noche (on Fridays I go to bed at twelve in the evening)
  • Los viernes me acuesto a media noche (on Fridays I go to bed at midnight)
  • De lunes a viernes me acuesto a las once (Monday to Friday I go to bed at eleven)
  • De lunes a viernes me acuesto a las once de la noche (Monday to Friday I go to bed at eleven in the evening)


*Notes
Please note the difference between the expressions of time used in these answers and typical expressions used in telling the time, such as:
  • Es la una (it is one o'clock)
  • Son las once (it is eleven o'clock)
Please note also that if you wanted to indicate that you go to bed at an unspecified time, you could just say:
  • Me acuesto por la mañana (I go to bed in the morning)
  • Me acuesto por la tarde (I go to bed in the afternoon/ in the evening)
  • Me acuesto por la noche (I go to bed in the evening/ at night)


Now you should practice answering the question:
¿A qué hora te acuestas?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons

Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.



No comments: