Imagine you form part of a party and find yourself in any of the following situations:
- Maybe you are trying to reserve a table for the party in a restaurant;
- Perhaps you are trying to book rooms for the party in a hotel;
- You are acting as the spokesperson for a number of people;
After exchanging greetings, the other person needs to establish the number of people in your party and says to you something like: "how many of you are there?"
In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Cuántos son (ustedes)?
The question is an invitation for you to state the number of people in your party. When stating the number of people in your party, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Your main concern should be about communicating the number of people. Perhaps what you want to say is that:
- Your party consists of a specific number of people;
- You need to confirm the number;
Here are some examples of how you could reply:
- Somos dos* (there are two of us);
- Somos cuatro* (there are four of us);
- Un momento, por favor, tengo que confirmarlo (just one moment, please, I need to confirm it);
*NB For other numbers of people in the party, simply change the number accordingly.
Now you should practice answering the question:
This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
Google+: Google+ Love-Spanish
Facebook: Facebook.com/ Love.Spanish
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.