Wednesday 30 May 2012

At What Time Do You Get Up?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about the timings of daily activities in general, and more specifically with indicating at what time you get up.





SCENARIO


Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or colleague. Maybe you are talking about your daily habits. At some point, the other person says: "at what time do you get up?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿A qué hora te levantas?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿A qué hora se levanta (usted)?


OUR TIP

The question is an invitation for you to state at what time you get up. When you state at what time you get up, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Perhaps what you want to say is that you get up at:

  • A specific time
  • A specific time on specific days


Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Me levanto a las siete (I get up at seven)
  • Me levanto a las siete de la mañana (I get up at seven in the morning)
  • Los lunes me levanto a las seis y media (on Mondays I get up at half past six)
  • Los lunes me levanto a las seis y media de la mañana (on Mondays I get up at half past six in the morning)
  • De lunes a viernes me levanto a las siete (Monday to Friday I get up at seven)
  • De lunes a viernes me levanto a las siete de la mañana (Monday to Friday I get up at seven in the morning)
  • Los domingos me levanto a las diez (on Sundays I get up at ten o'clock)
  • Los domingos me levanto a las diez de la mañana (on Sundays I get up at ten in the morning)


*Notes
Please note the difference between the expressions of time used in these answers and typical expressions used in telling the time, such as:
  • Es la una (it is one o'clock)
  • Son las siete (it is seven o'clock)
Please note also that if you wanted to indicate that you get up at an unspecified time, you could just say:
  • Me levanto por la mañana (I get up in the morning)
  • Me levanto por la tarde (I get up in the afternoon/ in the evening)
  • Me levanto por la noche (I get up in the evening/ at night)


Now you should practice answering the question:
¿A qué hora te levantas?


Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons

Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Margaret M said...

Me levanto a las ocho mas o menos.