Thursday 12 January 2012

What Is Your Job Like?

Introduction


This post deals with describing work, jobs, professions or occupations.





SCENARIO



Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or a work colleague. You are talking about work, professions or occupations. The other person wants to learn a bit more about what you do and says: "what is your job like?". 

The other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Cómo es tu trabajo?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Cómo es su  trabajo?


OUR TIP

Answering that question should be quite straight forward. You should NOT need to consider more formal or less formal replies. Just say something about your job, profession or occupation.




Perhaps you want to mention:
  • Your job/ occupation*.
  • Where you work.
    • Sector
    • Employer/ self-employed
    • Workplace
    • Workplace location
  • Full-time/ part-time work
  • A description of your job.


Here are some examples of what you could say about your job/ profession/ occupation:
  • Soy médico* (I am a doctor -male doctor speaking).
  • Soy médica*  (I am a doctor -female doctor speaking).
  • Soy abogado* (I am a lawyer -male lawyer speaking);
  • Soy abogada* (I am a lawyer -female lawyer speaking);
  • Soy enfermero* (I am a nurse -male nurse speaking);
  • Soy enfermera* (I am a nurse -female nurse speaking);
  • Soy periodista (I am a journalist -either male or female journalist).
  • Soy dentista (I am a dentist -either male or female dentist).
  • Soy taxista (I am a taxi driver -either male or female taxi driver).
  • Trabajo en la construcción (I work in the building trade).
  • Trabajo en la seguridad social (I work in the National Health Service).
  • Trabajo en un hospital (I work in a hospital).
  • Trabajo en Madrid  (I work in Madrid).
  • Trabajo a tiempo parcial (I work part-time).
  • Mi trabajo es gratificante  (my work is rewarding).
  • Mi trabajo es interesante (my work is interesting).
  • Mi trabajo conlleva mucha responsabilidad  (my work entails a lot of responsibility).
  • Mi trabajo es agotador (my work is exhausting/ very tiring).
  • Mi trabajo es un poco aburrido (my work is a little bit boring)

Notes

Some of these answers require a different wording if you are a male or a female (see the examples* above).

See further practical examples of describing places/ people/ etc.



Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Cómo es tu trabajo?


Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: