Monday 9 January 2012

What Are You Like?

Introduction



This post deals with describing people -yourself.





SCENARIO



Imagine you are talking on the phone to someone you have never met. The other person wants you to tell him/ her something about you and says: "what are you like?". 

The other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Cómo eres?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Cómo es (usted)?


OUR TIP

Answering that question should be quite straight forward. You should NOT need to consider more formal or less formal replies. Just say something about yourself.




Perhaps you want to mention:
  • Your name*.
  • Your age*.
  • Your marital status*.
  • Your profession/ occupation*.
  • Your nationality*.
  • Description of your appearance*.
  • Description of your character*.


Here are some examples of how you could describe yourself in those circumstances:
  • Me llamo xxx  (my name is xxx -your own name)
  • Estoy soltero  (I am single -if you are a male)
  • Estoy soltera (I am single -if you are a female)
  • Tengo xx años  (I am xx years old).
  • Soy maestro  (I am a teacher -if you are a male)
  • Soy maestra  (I am a teacher -if you are a female)
  • No tengo hijos  (I don't have any children- either male or female speaking)
  • Soy alto y delgado (I am tall and thin -if you are a male)
  • Soy alta y delgada (I am tall and thin -if you are a female)
  • Tengo el pelo largo y los ojos azules (I have curly hair and blue eyes)
  • Soy muy guapo (I am very good looking -if you are a male)
  • Soy muy guapa (I am very pretty -if you are a female)
  • Soy mexicano (I am Mexican -if you are a male)
  • Soy mexicana (I am Mexican -if you are a female)
  • Hablo español e inglés (I speak Spanish and English).
  • Soy bajo y un poco gordo (I am short and a little fat -if you are a male).
  • Soy baja y un poco gorda (I am short and a little fat -if you are a female)
  • Llevo gafas (I wear glasses).
  • Soy inteligente, trabajador y simpático (I am intelligent, hard working and pleasant/ likeable -if you are a male).
  • Soy inteligente, trabajadora y simpática (I am intelligent, hard working and pleasant/ likeable -if you are a female)

Notes

Please note that some answers depend on your gender (male or female).

See further practical examples of describing places/ people/ etc.



Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Cómo eres?

Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: