Wednesday 16 November 2011

Tell Me, When Do You Hope...?

SCENARIO
Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or a colleague. Maybe you are talking about a trip you are about to make. The other person wants to know when you expect to arrive at your destination. At that point, he/ she decides to say to you: "tell me, when do you hope/ expect to arrive?". 

He/ she could choose to be less formal and say to you:
Dime, ¿cuándo esperas llegar?


Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be a little bit more formal and say:
Dígame, ¿cuándo espera (usted) llegar?
  


OUR TIP

You DO NOT need be concerned about the degree of formality in what your relative/ friend/ colleague says to you. Whether the other person uses a more/ less formal register is irrelevant to your choice of reply.

Your answer depends only on what you want to say about your expected arrival. There are a variety of ways to reply. Maybe you want to say that you:
  • Hope to arrive before/ after a specific time
  • Hope to arrive at a specific time
  • Hope to arrive before/ after a specific date
  • Hope to arrive at a specific date
  • Hope to arrive before/ after a specific event
  • Want to be home before/ after something happens

Here are some of examples which deal with those basic possibilities:
  • Espero llegar antes de las 11:00 (I hope to arrive before 11:00)
  • Espero llegar a las las 9:00 (I hope to arrive at 9:00)
  • Espero llegar antes del lunes (I hope to arrive before Monday)
  • Espero llegar el viernes (I hope to arrive on Friday)
  • Espero llegar antes del fin de semana (I hope to arrive home before the weekend)
  • Espero llegar antes de que acabe la semana (I hope to arrive before the week ends)*
  • Espero llegar antes de que Pedro salga (I hope to arrive before Pedro leaves)*

Now you should practice replying to:
Dime, ¿cuándo esperas llegar?

*Please see grammar below


Grammar-Subjunctive
Please note the use of subjunctive mood in expressions of hope/ expectation, such as:
  • "I hope/ expect to {do something} before {something happens}"
  • "I hope/ expect to {do something} after {something happens}"
  • "I hope/ expect to {do something} before {someone does something else}"
  • "I hope/ expect to {do something} after {someone does something else}"
In order to express this in Spanish, you could use:
  • "espero <infinitivo>... antes de que <subjuntivo>..." 
  • "espero <infinitivo>... después de que <subjuntivo>..."
An example of this is the reply above: "espero llegar antes de que Pedro salga".

Some other examples of expressions of this type in Spanish are:
  • Espero terminar antes de que acabe la semana (I hope/ expect to finish before the week ends).
  • Espero seguir con esto después de que acabe el año (I hope/ expect to continue with this after the year ends).
  • Espero descansar antes de que llegues (I hope/ expect to rest before you arrive)
  • Espero terminar antes de que Pedro me llame (I hope/ expect to finish before Pedro calls me).
  • Espero llegar después de que vosotros hayáis salido (I hope/ expect to arrive after you have left).
  • Espero desayunar antes de que Pedro y María se despierten (I hope/ expect to have breakfast before Pedro and María wake up).

Now you should practise this use of the subjunctive with some more sentences of your own



This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct lessons online on this and many other topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:
© Copyright 2011 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved

No comments: