Friday 19 August 2011

What Is Your Nationality?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about nationalities.

SCENARIO


Imagine you are exchanging personal details. You come to the point of dealing with nationalities. The other person decides to ask what nationality you are and says: what is your nationality?*

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Cuál es tu nacionalidad?

On the other hand, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Cuál es su nacionalidad?


OUR TIP
You are being asked to give your nationality. When giving your nationality, you DO NOT need be concerned about the degree of formality in the other person's question. Whether the other person uses the more/ less formal question is irrelevant to your choice of answer.

Here are a few sample answers*:
  • Soy inglés (I am English – male);
  • Soy inglesa (I am English – female);
  • Soy escocés (I am Scottish – male);
  • Soy escocesa (I am Scottish – female);
  • Soy galés (I am Welsh – male);
  • Soy galesa (I am Welsh – female);
  • Soy irlandés (I am Irish– male);
  • Soy irlandesa (I am Irish – female);
  • Soy italiano (I am Italian – male);
  • Soy italiana (I am Italian – female);
  • Soy americano (I am American – male);
  • Soy americana (I am American – female);
  • Soy español (I am Spanish – male);
  • Soy española (I am Spanish – female);
  • Soy estadounidense (I am from the USA -male or female);
  • Soy canadiense (I am Canadian -male or female);
  • Soy vietnamita (I am Vietnamese -male or female)

*Notes

Only in a few cases there is a single answer which is valid for both male and female speakers. In all other cases you need to choose the answer which corresponds to your own gender (male or female).

See an alternative type of reply to this question here




Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Cuál es tu nacionalidad?

This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:

For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2011 Love-Spanish.com. by JM González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: